Theme: Listen Closely!
“Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD.” (Prov. 8:33-35)
- Memory: Review Proverbs 23:19. To reinforce today’s lesson, you can say a line of the verse and have your children repeat it back to you. Test their listening skills by throwing in a silly word to see if they repeat it back as well!
- Bible: Read Proverbs 8 together. Have your children listen for the word “listen”, and when they hear it they can hold up their hand. Emphasize the importance of listening carefully!
- Literature: Read Don’t Forget the Bacon together. Did the boy listen carefully? What happened when he didn’t remember what his mother said?
- Listening Test: Tell your children one item to find. After they successfully bring it to you, give them two objects to find. See how many objects they can remember to find at once. This game motivates them to listen very carefully!
- Life Practice: To underscore our focus on listening, I’ve begun to have my children repeat back my instructions. When they know they’ve got to say it back, they listen better!